Literary Essay on ” The Skin Im in” by Sharon G.Flakes

Sharon G. Flakes, “The Skin I’m in”, takes place at McClenton Middle school. Maleeka is at a new school with new faces and surroundings. Maleeka is being bullied for her good grades, home-made clothes, and skin tone. She runs into Char, the bully. Char makes Maleeka get or do everything for her, like her homework or get her lunch. Maleeka finally stands up to the bully/bullies and stops it. Don’t judge people by their appearance.

“I don’t see pretty. Just a whole lot of black”. The theme for this one is “don’t judge a book by its cover.” Just hearing this rude phrase makes my skin crawl, like there is a bunch of spiders or bugs on my skin because this just makes me feel horrible on the inside, but to have someone say that to you is just straight up wrong. Just because someone is darker then you doesn’t mean they should get harassed for having the darkest skin in school. Human is human and it shouldn’t change your opinion about them. Someone that is different and not like you, I’ve heard from other people that they will be the most amazing person you have ever met and they will be your best friend. People who are different are always the best people to have around. Just people in general, like the people you bully, it is still wrong to bully someone. The author develops this theme in the beginning of the story by, how Maleeka gave the bully a nasty hamburger with something on it. That was the first time she stood up to Char.

“Maleeka needs to stay out of the sun.” The theme for this one is “don’t judge by appearance.” This is so rude to tell someone this or even tell other people. Nobody should be told to stay out of the sun because of their skin tone. Like I said before people shouldn’t be judge for what they look like. Just hearing these words are just rude and disrespectful. People will just find the smallest thing about you and bring it into something that everybody has in their life called, drama, and some people just find an innocent person that that know isn’t going to do anything and bully them. The author develops this theme as by how Maleeka is talking a lot more in class and just being her and doesn’t care what people say about her or anybody.

“I’m proud of who I am, Char.” The theme for this one is “Be proud of who you are and what you look like.” Be proud. Don’t let what others say about you bring you down because you are beautiful inside and out. The person who is being the bully may have something wrong with them and may need some help because when someone bully’s you it more and likely means that they are having a problem and need some help. People will judge you for the littlest things about you, maybe even make up a lie about you just to bring you down. Whatever they say, don’t listen because you are beautiful and if someone calls you dumb, you’re not. You are so smart even if you don’t have good grades.

In conclusion of all my themes, just don’t listen to what people say about you because people are just rude and just want something to do with their life. If you are getting bullied, go to an adult or another student or parent and say something, the bullying will stop. You are beautiful and amazing in every way.